Crispy Uzhunnu Vada
Try this south indian breakfast recipe crispy uzhunnu vada perfect for kids.
1. Uzhunnu /Black gram – 2 Cup
2. Onion – 5-8 Nos
3. Green Chilli – 3-4 Nos
4. Ginger – Small piece
5. Curry Leaves – As Required
6. Black Pepper – 1 Spoon
7. Cooking Oil – To Fry
8. Salt – As Needed
9. Rice flour- for crispiness
- Soak urad dal /Uzhunnu(Black gram) in a vessel with enough water to just cover the dal and keep aside for 1 hour (Note : After about 30 mins, the water level would have gone down. Now add more water to cover the dal again
- Grind it without water to form a thick and smooth batter. sprinkle some water and grind again till you get a smooth, thick and fluffy paste, the batter has to be as thick as possible.
- To have a crispy vada, add rice flour to the batter,Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes
- Add finely chopped ginger, green chilli, onion, curry leaves and crushed black pepper to the batter and mix nicely.
- Now in a deep bottomed pan heat the oil and reduce the flame when it is hot enough.
- Make round shapes ball with the batter using the palm of your hand and make a small hole at the center using your finger. Dip your hands in cold water to prevent it from sticking on your hand.
- Place them slowly into the hot oil and deep fry them by turning both sides till golden color.
- Repeat the previous steps for the remaining batter and serve it hot along with chutney or as a tea time snack.
Submit your review