Crispy Masala Dosa
Prepration of Dosa batter
- Row rice (pachari) – 1 cup
- Cooked rice – 1/2 cup
- Urad dal (Uzhunnu parippu) – 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Water – for soaking
- Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
- Water – 1 cup
- Oil or ghee – 4 tbsp
- In a big bowl take rice, uraddal, fenugreek seed together and wash it well.
- pour water and let it soak for 3 hours at least.
- After the soaking is over Grind them in a grinder with 1 cup of water, grind it to a paste .
- Then add 1/2 cup cooked rice and grind well.Add more water if needed.
- At the same time make sure batter is medium thick consistency
- Then Pour the batter into a container and close with a lid, allow to ferment for 8-10 hrs preferably overnight .
- After it is fermented, the batter will rise up….your dosa batter is ready to use.
- Then Add salt to the fermented batter and mix well.
- Then start making the masala
Prepration of Masala
- Beetroot- 2 medium
- Potatoes-3 medium
- Carrot- 1 big
- Onion, chopped- 1 large
- Green chillies, chopped-2-3
- Ginger, finely chopped- 1/2 inch
- Garlic, finely chopped- 3 cloves
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt- to tasteTo temper:
- Oil – 3 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dhal- 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- 1 strand
- Pressure cook the beetroot, potatoes and carrot together till soft for about 3- 4 whistles. Peel them and roughly mash them. If you feel difficult in mashing beet root grate them using carrot grator after cooking.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds with urad dhal.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the curry leaves and fry for a second.
- Now add the chopped onion and green chillies. cook for fifteen seconds.
- Add the finely chopped ginger and garlic; saute for fifteen seconds.
- Now add the mashed beetroot potato carrot mixture and turmeric powder, salt and about 1 and half cup of water.
- Allow the mixture to boil well and cook till the veggies start to become mushy.
- Cook according to your palatte. Because some do likes to find chunks of potatoes in the masala some like it like mashed consistency; switch off the gas.
Start making crispy masala dosa
- Heat a non stick griddle (thava) once the pan is heated, reduce the flame to medium heat
- Grease the griddle with oil soaked cotton towel or kitchen paper
- Pour a laddle full of batter into the hot griddle, spread it using the back of the laddle into a circular motion from center to outward to make a thin and crunchy dosa
- Then drizzle ghee or oil spread it all over the dosa
- when it is crispy and golden brown,
- add some masala top of the dosa and flip then remove it to a plate. Your crispy crunchy masala dosa is ready.
- Enjoy crispy masala dosa with coconut chutney or sambar
TIP: If you live in a cold climate region. Fermenting process for the batter can be a bit of problem. So a small trick is to preheat your oven to lowest temperature, make sure to turn off oven and place the batter inside covered with a lid.
Submit your review
I like the use of beet root in the filling. I haven't seen that before.